6th season with Cantus
Hometown: Council Bluffs, IA
Education: MM Choral Conducting, University of Nebraska
BM Commercial Music, Millikin University
Chris grew up in southwest Iowa and graduated from Millikin University with a BM in Commercial Music. After a short two years at the University of Nebraska directing the Vocal Jazz program and earning his MM in Choral Conducting, Chris relocated to the Twin Cities and has been proud to be a part of Cantus since then. Recent appearances with other professional vocal groups include: Four Shadow, Omaha Chamber Music Series, Chapter 6, Voices of Omaha, Dulces Voces and Home Free. Chris is also active as an award-winning arranger, continuing to arrange music in a wide variety of styles and applications. Chris also teaches on the voice faculty at McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul.
10 Questions for Chris:
1. Do you have any particularly striking musical memories from childhood? Apparently, when I had my wisdom teeth out when I was a kid, I sang lots of songs while I was numbing up in the chair before hand. But you could probably attribute that to the Valium.
2. If you had a super power, what would it be? My super power would be the ability to feel embarrassed for someone else in an embarrassing situation, no matter how mundane the situation, no matter how little I’m involved.
3. What is your super power at a Cantus rehearsal? My super power in Cantus rehearsal is the ability to feel embarrassed for someone else in an embarrassing situation, no matter how mundane the situation, no matter how little I’m involved.
4. What are you looking forward to in the coming season? Any particular piece of music? I’m excited that Cantus is going back to the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. I’m partial to Nukapianguaq, a collection of Inuit chants that opens the second half. It’s very raw and exciting.
5. Cereal at dinner: yes or no? If yes, pure or mixed? What? No. This is what’s wrong with America.
6. Do you own any albums that would surprise people? I’m not sure what exactly would surprise people these days. Perhaps it’s most surprising that I don’t own any Taylor Swift.
7. Do you have a movie you can watch over and over again? No, but I will never get tired of the first season of Louis C.K.’s TV show – Louie.
8. Where in the world would you like to go that you haven’t been? I’ve never been to Europe, so I’d probably start there. But I’d love to visit every continent at least once.
9. What’s your greatest fear? Fear itself?
10. Can you describe your perfect day? Coffee, then singing great music. Maybe a donut afterwards.