“Working in the respectful, collaborative Cantus environment formed who I am as a musician and as a person.”
– Timothy C. Takach (composer)
New this year, Cantus will be holding live auditions for the 2017-2018 season in New York City and Minneapolis! Please see below for information regarding submission deadlines and application instructions.
Cantus is currently accepting audition materials from tenors, baritones, and basses interested in joining the ensemble. As a member of the eight-voice, artist-led vocal chamber ensemble, you are provided with an annual 52-week contract, full-time salary of $47,476 with benefits, quarterly voice lesson reimbursement, and six weeks of vacation. Based in arts-friendly Minneapolis, MN, Cantus tours an average of 13 weeks a year in addition to a home concert series, an active schedule of education outreach, and an annual recording project.
New York City Live Auditions
Monday, November 7, 2016
Applications must be mailed or submitted electronically by October 21, 2016. Finalists will be notified by November 1, 2016.
Minneapolis Live Auditions
Friday, February 24, 2017
Applications must be mailed or submitted electronically by January 3, 2017. Finalists will be notified by January 23, 2017.
To view this year’s audition email, please click here.
Application submissions must include the following:
- A completed Application Form
- Cover Letter (PDF only)
- Headshot (1MB or less for electronic submissions)
- Resume (maximum of 2 pages, PDF only)
- A collection of recordings (MP3 only) that include the following:
- At least two (2) varying vocalises of your choice
- Three (3) solo repertoire selections. At least one must be an aria, and one must be in a language other than English. Selections should contrast in style (aria, art song, musical theater, gospel, jazz, pop).
To submit electronically (strongly preferred):
- Go to http://www.dropitto.me/cantusauditions (Password: cantussings)
- Please put your last name on all file names (“yourlastname-resume.pdf”)
- Please compress all files into one zipped file with the following title format: “yourlastname-auditionmaterials.zip”. This is preferred but files may also be uploaded individually.
To submit by mail, send all required materials in one packet to:
1201 Marquette Avenue S
Minneapolis, MN 55403
For additional answers to questions about working for or applying to Cantus, please click here.
Please write firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions. We look forward to your submission!